SeniorInfo4U

Welcome to Seniorinfo4u!

We are an online community connecting you with the latest news and information on Social Security, Medicare, long term care, financial issues, and legal issues for seniors and their families!

Search For Information

Search For Senior Services

Medicare

MedicareMedicare is a public insurance program administered by the United States government providing health insurance coverage to people who are aged 65 and over.

It was passed in 1965 in response to the lack of affordable health insurance options available to people aged 65 and over. The democratic majority in Congress passed the law and it was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson. It was the first American program to provide medical insurance to the nation’s aged population and it has consistently been under attack from the far right in the United States as a “socialist” program.

Medicare is a public insurance program with administrative costs of 3%. Its coverage extends to 80% of covered medical costs; the remaining 20% of cost must be paid by other means, such as privately-held supplemental insurance (Medigap), or paid by the patient.

 

money and stethoscope

Medigap/Supplemental Health Insurance

Medigap (Medicare Supplement) refers to various private supplemental health insurance plans sold to Medicare beneficiaries in the United States that provide coverage for medical expenses not covered or only partially covered by Medicare. Continue reading
question

Questions & Answers About Medicare

Frequently asked questions about Medicare Part A, Part B, Part D, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid and Medigap. Continue reading
accounting

Medicaid: How Does it Help Seniors?

Medicaid is the United States health program for eligible individuals and families with low incomes and resources. Continue reading
iStock_000007927672XSmall

Eligibility

In general, all persons 65 years of age or older who have been legal residents of the United States for at least 5 years are eligible for Medicare. Continue reading
pen with chart

Benefits

Explanation of benefits available under Medicare Part A, Part B, Part C and Part D Continue reading
writing check

Medicare Premiums in 2012: What Are They?

We cover costs of premiums, which a Medicare recipient must pay in order to receive Medicare services, for Medicare Part A, Part B, Part C and Part D. Continue reading
wallet

Medicare Deductibles & Co-Pays

Medicare does not pay for 100% of your Medical costs and you should know this or you could be wiped out financially. Continue reading
doctor

Medicare Resources

Finding A Medicare Physician, Help with Medicare: HICAP, and SHIP – Help with Medicare Health Insurance Options Continue reading